Thursday, August 9, 2007

Wiki, Photostory, and Flickr

Oh the fun I've had today working with David Jakes in our Web2.0 workshop! Today was the day everything started to fall into place for me.

See, I'm the type of person who needs to have time to "play" on the computer with any new tool that I have. And today was the day. In one day, I'm happy to say, I've completed a wiki page for my classroom, and used Flickr and Photostory to create an introductory video for my geography class.

Now, to some that may be nothing, but for me it's exciting.

My question is: What are some ways to use these tools in the classroom?

I have some of my own ideas, but I'd like to throw that out there for some good, oldfashioned brainstorming.

2 comments:

Anna said...

Gretchen,
There are almost as many possibilities for integrating these tools as stars in the sky. It's easiest for me when I work with teachers that are trying to integrate technologies, to consider your curriculum and objectives first. Then examine tools that will enhance or as Dave said, add value to the students' learning experience. Here are some of my thoughts...Writing could be enhanced with almost all of the tools we've looked at this week..Pictures in Flickr would be a great place to stimulate writing. Also in Big Huge Labs, there are a ton of tools to use with flickr. For a book review, students could create trading cards with a synopsis of each key character. (tool in Big Huge Labs) Not to mention, the magazine cover...use that for science to highlight an element...(ie inside this issue see how carbon can build a home-phrases that outline the function of an element or some other science concept)I noticed today that there's also a place to make billboard ads. (That would be fun to use to create a book report or someone famous) Just take a look at the "jump to" list at big huge labs and think about your curriculum. Just looking at this list, what other ideas do you have?

Gretchen said...

Thank you Anna for all of the wonderful ideas. I've been thinking about the Flickr and BigHugeLabs possibilities myself. I agree that curriculum needs to be taken into consideration before deciding which tool to use inorder to enhance learning.
I was able to finish a digital story this evening using Photo Story 3 on my PC that I'm planning on showing my geography class to introduce why to study geography. As for the idea of using the motivitional poster maker on BigHugeLabs, I'd like to figure that into my religion class and/or literature class.

I look forward to using everything we've learned and thank you again for your comments.

Gretchen